Wednesday 6 March 2013

VIEWS OF MOSCOW

These glorious pictures of Moscow in the snow were sent to me on my birthday by my Russian friend, Svetlana with whom I spent many happy times on visits to her home-town. It was still called Leningrad then but has since  gone back to its original name, Sankt Peterburg (after the Apostle but also for Tsar Peter the Great. who founded the city - his  'window on the west).  I was last in Moscow in 1990, filming a story about  organised crime in the Soviet Union. Those days are long  gone, but the spectacular churches of old Russia remain,  their pre-revolutionary dignity reinstated. They take my mind off the precarious state of the NHS under the Coalition and illustrate the fact that governments, however radical and right wing (in the case of the Bolsheviks,  left wing) come and go....






Picture by Svetlana Pavolovna, 2013


Picture by Svetlana Pavolovna, 2013





No comments: